Saturday, April 11, 2015

THE FUTURE OF LENR, DISCUSSING WITH BRIAN ALBISTON

MOTTOes


A good scientist is a person with original ideas. A good engineer is a person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible. There are no prima donnas in engineering.(Freeman Dyson)
AN ESSENTIAL STATEMENT
A great question: which is the profession, qualification, specialty, skill that helps yo the most to become a good LENR researcher? The surprising part of the answer: it is NOT a physicist!
"Theoretical basis": because achievement, before becoming a reality is  a mode of thinking, it is obvious that the qualification with the mode of thinking that is best for solving the existential and development problems of LENR- and this is systems engineering
This was first suggested by my regretted friend Mike Carell. Mike, having an IQ of over 160, being a high class all-round electric engineer- specialized in systems engineering.
Later, Yiannis Hadjichristos has taught me about the modus cogitandi of systems engineering (the most effective and efficient thinking ever)- in principle and in practical, applicative details.
It comes as natural that our new fighter and LENR+ replicator, Brian Albiston- see the interview/ discussion below is also qualified in system engineering. In his own words:
"Please do tell about systems engineering.  Engineers seem to know how to cut out the unimportant details and cut right to the heart of the problem, usually finding creative realistic solutions.  More collaboration between scientists and engineers needs to happen in the future."

INTERVIEW WITH BRIAN ALBISTON FROM OREGON, LENR+ REPLICATOR

Q- Dear Brian, beyond and extra to what Facebook and Linked-In can reveal, who are you?

A- I'm a 40 year old father of three living in Oregon, USA   I'm a mechanical engineer by training and self taught in many other things.  I'm part of a small company that develops high-end stabilized camera gimbals for unmanned aircraft.  One of the benefits of working at a small company is that I sometimes do electrical design, mechanical design, programming, test, all aspects of engineering and science.  That has crossed over nicely into my LENR work.

Q- We are meeting due to LENR- a cause of us both; you are half my age approx. so you must have a very different Cold Fusion/LENR history, please tell your story!:

A-I was a young teen living in Utah when Pons and Fleischmann made their historic announcement.  My imagination was immediately captured by the thought of limitless, clean energy.  I also took some pride that the discovery had been made near my home.  Of course my pride and hopes were soon dashed by the scientific community.  I couldn't help but feel that some injustice had been done to P & F and The University of Utah by extension (where I later was to receive my MS degree). 

For many years I didn't have any idea that cold fusion research was continuing, I only knew it as a synonym for junk research.  I still held out hope that there might be an energy breakthrough someday.  It seemed to me that almost all engineering systems I could dream up were limited by energy and especially energy density.  Also, the continued burning of fossil fuels was an untenable situation and renewables lacked the energy density and consistency needed.  It seemed to me that nuclear was the only answer.

Q- That means for a lot of years you considered LENR a dead issue; however what events have determined you to come back?

A- A little over a year ago I checked out the well written book A Piece of the Sun: The Quest for Fusion Energy, by Daniel Clery and was engrossed by the early fusion story and then depressed by the drama and politics that has described big fusion for the last 20 years. I decided to do more research on the internet about ITER etc. when I happened to run across several of the LENR sites.  I was surprised to see the quality of work going on and the progress that had been made.  I immediately knew I had to be a part of this.  I have eaten, drank, and slept cold fusion since.

Q-  How do you have started to work for LENR?

A- I immediately purchased Storms book and began highlighting all of the commonalities between successful experiments. I became interested in high temp liquid metal experiments and contacted Hydrogen Fusion Systems in Washington state to see if I could help them out.  I volunteered to help them with several microwave transmutation experiments similar to what Quantum Rabbit is doing.  

 Q- When do you have decided to replicate Lugano & Parkhomov:

A- This winter when Alexander Parkhomov demonstrated a successful Rossi type reactor I decided maybe I could adapt his work to what I was doing with microwaves.  Microwave experimentation quickly became too complex though, so I switched to a more direct replication attempt.  Hopefully that will prove fruitful soon.

Q- Linked-In and you say you have a job; how do you do manage to do these time consuming and not very cheap experiments?

A- I conduct my research in what little spare time I have between my job, wife, kids, and church service.  My wife has been extremely supportive (although she probably doesn't have any idea how much money I have spent).  I'm hoping to eventually dedicate the rest of my career to LENR.  Other than my family, it has been difficult to find others that believe in my work and even more difficult to find anyone willing to help.  Let's hope we can change that attitude soon.

Q- Brian, do you have a personal message to the readers of Ego Out?

A- I want to express my thanks to all of the LENR researchers that pressed on through the lonely years.  We all owe you a great debt of gratitude.
      -   -  -    

Thank you so much Brian and let's his initiative and example be contagious in the US and overall between all the Poles of Terra!

Remember Brian'swebsite is: http://www.hydrogenfusion.blogspot.cz/

Note: I have learned from Brian;

a) about the book of Clery see 
http://www.amazon.com/Piece-Sun-Quest-Fusion-Energy/dp/1468304933

b) That Edmond Storms can be contented with the success and impact of his book(s)- first choice weapons in the fight against skepticism;

c) We must be more careful and positive regarding the work of less known LENR workers as HFS and Quantum Rabbit.

And wqe have to learn to change from young people.

DAILY NEWS


LENRG G-Day Milano : Airbus and LENR

More news coming from there!

The nickel powder used by Parkhomov was analysed in the lab of Edmond Storms
MFMP reports testing results of Parkhomov nickel powder
http://www.e-catworld.com/2015/04/11/mfmp-reports-testing-results-on-parkhomov-nickel-powder/

Two short notes about E-Cat and around it in a very original Italian Blog
http://scienzalaterale.blogspot.ro/search/label/LENR

Simple Idea May Explain Cold Fusion and LENR - Simeon Hein

Positive about LENR
Vol. 21, No. 5,175 - The American Reporter - April 10, 2015

Mad Scientists Only!! Andrea Rossi's Reaction (United States) http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/grp/4973528198.html

With thanks to Mark Jurich for signalling this:
 M. W. Kalinowski* IMDIK PAN ul. Pawi´nskiego 5, 02-106 Warsaw, Poland Low Energy Nuclear Reactions (LENR) and Heavy Fermion Catalysis for a Cold Fusion


OTHER

Huge progress on the smallest scale!

Nanoscale imaging: Tomography for plasmonics
http://www.nature.com/nnano/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nnano.2015.52.html

Probably important for LENR but a very expensive paper

How many gold atoms make gold metal?
With thanks to AXIL



3 comments:

  1. I would put Beaudette's book right up there with Storms, especially as covering the science (and politics) of the early years of "LENR in exile".
    Note that Beaudette is an engineer...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, for this idea in the name of the Readers- Beaudette is a very important voice in CF/LENR. I have enjoyed reading his book.
      Steve Krivit's book was also not bad.

      Peter

      Delete
  2. About Storms' book and books in general on this topic.

    When I found an abusive domain blacklisting, of lenr-canr.org, on Wikipedia, in early 2009, I confronted it and started looking at cold fusion again. Like Darden and others, I had believed it had all been a mistake. Nobody could replicate it, etc. But I saw problems with the Wikipedia article. So I started working on it, and quickly discovered that there was a faction active there that cared much more about their own personal agenda and opinions than about Wikipedia policy. So I decided to research the topic more deeply.

    I bought all the major books. The most expensive was Storms, and I got it for $50. Most books were available used for very little money. I bought Taubes and Huizenga, co-kings of the skeptics. *Extremely valuable books.* I bought Simon ("Undead Science,"), Hoffman (Hoffman was a genuine skeptic, and brilliant. His book only went so far, he was retiring, but he knew -- and let the reader know -- that the issues were far from resolved. He thoroughly skewered the knee-jerk skeptical response.) I also bought Mizuno, for his great personal story, and later Park and several other skeptical books.

    I'm not quite sure when I became convinced that the FP Heat Effect was real. I think it was when I read the helium evidence, in Storms. What I discovered was that the *cold fusion community* had largely neglected this. Measuring the heat/helium ratio was the "single reproducible experiment" that skeptics had been demanding, and mostly, "believers" responded with excuses, instead of applicable fact.

    "It's not reproducible because we don't have control over the conditions." That was true! But completely beside the point. I have no idea why so few of us got that point. Our responses very commonly reinforced the skeptical views.

    When we are upset, we do not think clearly. It's how the brain works (and doesn't work).

    ReplyDelete