- The field is in a very bad situation: the phenomenon is real, but it is not understood and is not yet manageable, cannot be upgraded in a technology. Metaphorically, it is ill.
- The main cause is: Cold Fusion was discovered years before its time when Science and Technology were not prepared to understand and develop it.
- An aggravating factor: Cold Fusion was discovered perhaps in the worst place possible. Its “cradle” the electrolytic cell is too sensitive, too wet, too dirty and too cold(!) for a reliable functioning, for scale-up and for technological development. We also have to add to this the extreme complexity of the phenomena.
- Due to these harmful effects at its birth, the field has developed very slowly, mainly horizontally, incrementally and is still in a kind of larva/infantile state, being retarded scientifically and immature technologically. Scientifically there is no consensus even for the most fundamental concepts and issues as topology, nature and mechanism of the reactions; technologically no real progress is possible due to inherent weaknesses of all systems as discussed here too many times.
5. There is a cure to this immaturity illness; there are solutions to its existential problems. There is a direction of real progress in the field. The nature of the usable form of LENR is very different of the classic form (PdD system); therefore in order to prevail the field must go through very profound and even surprising metamorphoses. First, enhanced excess heat release has to be achieved by transition from static LENR to dynamic LENR+ continuously generating active sites. The field will be developed by multi-disciplinar research centered on the relatively new science of Nanoplasmonics. At the end of its 25 Years War, the field will claim it has grown up and will prove it, following a very radical paradigm change, kind of mentality reversal and focus on technology and engineering. However, in parallel with the coming commercial triumph, eventually science will also flourish.